Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Soap Making, Child Training, and a Tribute to the Rooster

Whew! It sure feels good to catch a minute to sit down and blog again. It's amazing how quickly a whirlwind of days pass by. We lost our sweet rooster the other day. The second casualty of what we think is a weasel that lives under the coop. "Puck", who was affectionately named by Ava (because it rhymes with 'cluck'), and who was the only of our chickens we named, died a pretty awful death. I'd like to think it was in brave defense of his hens, though I'll never know. Garrett, in memory, made an origami bird (rooster) in black and white- Puck's colors. It sits on the windowsill above my kitchen sink where it too, will probably meet a quick end for all the times it has fallen into the sink (inevitably when it is full of water).
We've moved the remaining hens (who seem unaffected by the recent brutalities they've witnessed, and are laying again, I'm happy to report) to the vacant goat barn where we hope they will stay safe. We've put out a trap for the perpetrator in the chicken coop, but seems he's been untempted thus far. Or maybe after two large chicken dinners in as many days, he's hunkered down for a long winter's nap.

The last few days have been filled with soap making and child training. The latter being just a neverending job, it seems. Especially during long winter months. And every time I think I've got them straightened out long enough to sit and enjoy a cup of coffee, another argument ensues. It is then that I remind myself what blessings these children are and how honored I am that God gave me charge of them for what little time we have together. I want my children to learn patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. The teaching of these begins at home. I did happen to snap a couple pictures of the children happily co-habiting in the last couple days. These moments have been a little rare here lately and so all the more precious are they...


This last, though not depicting co-habitation exactly, is simply a picture of Brenna spontaneously napping on the couch after several hours of rather challenging behavior. Ahhhhh... Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Psalm 127:3

I'm very excited about the soapmaking we've been doing. Scents on the curing rack so far include: Stress relief (lavender, patchouli, bergomot), Simply Lavender, Rose Geranium with added rose hips for skin nourishing vitamins and exfoliation, and our Dead Sea bar- a yummy bar fresh from the sea with mineral rich sea kelp powder and dead sea salts from Jordan. Here's some interesting information about the Dead Sea and the wonderful goodness it contains:  http://www.atlastours.net/jordan/deadsea.html. Of course all our bars are all natural and made with only the most nourishing ingredients. These include goats milk, coconut oil, sweet almond oil, mango butter and castor bean oil. Fragrances are derived from only 100% natural essential oils. We will be making several more varieties and then they will all be allowed to cure for a minimum of 6 weeks. In that time we will be working on our logo, website, brochure, and herbal salves! Joe has already designed a beautiful and practical soap holder to use with your soap in the shower so as not to waste any of your beauty bar! He'll be busy turning those out soon.

And the search for our own goats continues... In the meantime, I'm loving the snow, but a little thankful at times that I don't yet have to rush out at 7am to milk...

May His peace be in your homes,
Elizabeth

6 comments:

  1. Love Garrett's oragami! I can attest to the soaps. Oh my, I'm the blessed receiver of Elizabeth's soapworks and my skin has never been so soft. I'm a bath girl anyway, but these soaps have me spending even more time splashing around in serenity. Kudos, Lizzy! Thank YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry about Puck~ hope you catch that little weasel before he gets anybody else. We finally gave into the cabin fever and let the kids haul down mattresses and about every quilt we own and make a gymnastic course in the living room~ they're getting pretty good at no handed flips and have forgotten to fight in a couple of days:)) Happy soap making! That's on my list, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As usual just another good read :)

    Thanks Liz and Family!

    John

    ReplyDelete
  4. The soaps sound wonderful. I am trying to get info to your mom with a friend that I know who sells soap on etsy. Will let you know. Her etsy name is sacredsuds.

    We had 10 chickens and then an animal started picking them off one by one. They never recovered from the blitzkrieg..... :O( (neither did I)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have learned on the farm to never name animals, esp. cats, because they are always the ones that have short lives! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diane, I got the info- thanks! So sorry about your chickens. We've had 3 different flocks of chickens now and this is the first time we've had predator problems! Such a heartbreak about yours :(

    ReplyDelete