Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Introducing...

New to Dandelion's Acre: Whisper and Tania (tu-nee-uh)- we call her Tia because the kids couldn't remember Tania. "What's her name again, Mom?" They both respond to their names which is pretty amazing considering the woman I bought them from had over 100 goats (all named, all came when called) Loved it. Here's her blog http://blog.tricottdairy.com/. Whisper, a mostly white Alpine/Saanen, and Tia a white and black Alpine/Togg. Both friendly and well behaved ( desirable traits in a goat ;) They give us about 1 and 2/3 gallon a day of sweet, creamy milk and we are thankful. Tia is easy to milk, but gives a little less milk than Whisper. She managed to put her hoof in the bucket yesterday (after 25 long minutes of milking), but I'm hoping it was a mistake (rather than a habit) and really, the chickens didn't mind at all that I had to give (all) yesterday morning's milk to them.

Whisper with the chickens


Just about all my pictures of Tia are close-ups because she never leaves my side (laugh) 

Whisper gives about a gallon a day but was unfortunately endowed with small orifices (undesirable traits in a goat) Oh dear. In all fairness to the seller I will say that I was duly warned :) The first couple milkings it took me almost 20 minutes just to milk her out. Tia takes about 3-4 minutes. I could barely feel my hands for the first couple days. It has gotten progressively a little easier and after 3 days of milking her I can do it in about 10 minutes now. Still a long time, but better. And really, Whisper's name should be Patience because she stands there so quietly all the while. And for that I am so grateful. My hands are already feeling stonger than they ever have been. I wonder how long till carpel tunnel sets in?
I had Joe out there last night with me to give it a try. After all, it'll be his job on the evenings I work, and he needs to know just what he's getting himself in to   how to do it ;) Good sport that he is, he milked out one side while I worked on the other and we were done in about 10 minutes. This morning I had Connor help me out in the same way. He milked out the easier side while I did the harder and it went much faster and saved my hands a bit. I do love to have my husband out in the barn with me and think I may be on to something. ~"Honey, you have to come milk with me or I'll be out there forever!"~

 In fact, I actually thought I would be out there forever this morning. As Connor was leaving, he inadvertently (and so like Connor) locked me in the milking side of the barn. There I was, locked in the barn, stuck with Whisper who was mournfully looking at me like, what the heck lady, I gave you your milk now let me out already. It really wouldn't have been too bad except that Brenna my exuberant and over-ambitious 3 year old had insisted on following us out this cold morning to help me milk ("I milk the goats for you mom!!"), had lost her gloves somewhere between the barn and the house and was now at a high pitched wail because she was cold (and on the other side of the door I was locked behind of course). She was too short to unlock the door for me and too upset to go back to the house for me and get Joe. So she just stood there screaming and I stood there (with Whisper now exploring all this side the barn had to offer) helpless. In the end, I managed to climb on top of the hay and over top of the divider between the milking side and the other side and jump down to free myself. But it was traumatic, and my poor little (but not so light) Brenna then had to be carried to the house (still screaming) along with the 3/4 gallon of milk and the two empty water buckets.

We have goats again.

Let the adventures begin.



1 comment:

  1. Yeah Congrats on the goats!! I have one of those goats with Small orfices.. She kills my hands. I am looking at getting a Henry Milker to milker with this year.
    Beautiful goaties!

    ReplyDelete