Friday, January 28, 2011

Win Some, Lose Some

I couldn't believe it when I ventured out to the coop this morning.

Here is what we found...


I had to rub my eyes and look again. Can't say that I've ever been so excited over two eggs before.  The sight of these brown beauties brought a song to my heart.
Corny, but true.

And since it has been almost two months without eggs from our hens, that makes these particular eggs rather expensive little eggs. We shall call them delicacies. All frugality aside, 
I will enjoy them with a smile on my face. And... we even got another tonight!
Oh, it's the simple things, eh?

But...
(refer now to the title of this post). For right about the time I was doing a happy dance around my eggs, I looked down to see a chicken laying dead in the corner of the coop. Mauled by something. I'll spare you the details, so very unfortunate. But I am thankful this particular predator was only feeling hungry for one hen and not 9 last night.
 This evening, my diligent husband set out not one, but two, live animal traps. Sardines lay stinking waiting inside them. I'm hoping Mr. Mink, or Foe Fox, or Rowdy Raccoon has a hankering for canned fish tonight rather than chicken cutlet...

"The Lord giveth and the Lord has taken away" ?
(Job 1:21)
Do chickens and eggs count?

Have a great weekend


5 comments:

  1. I think it was an inside job...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad and I are howling! I don't know who is funnier, you or Joanna. Just find that chicken-killin' culpret before we retire and you move us into the chicken coop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have forgotten what real farm eggs look like! We have only known the white eggs from the cardboard boxes around here for the past few months. One more week until we get our little chickies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our hens had a long molt and between that and the cold we were only getting about four eggs a day from about two dozen of them for many weeks. Expensive eggs indeeed! Things have thankfully picked up again.
    I love those wool leggings you made for your daughter, and you remind me that I need to order herbs myself!

    ReplyDelete