Friday, January 21, 2011

Snow Ice Cream

Fresh fallen snow heralds celebration around here. As in, "Ok, we can do school later- go out and play in the snow!" celebration (which happens to also be a spelling word for this week).  I do believe children learn best when given ample play time. Time to use their incredible, God-given imaginations and use up all that coveted energy. And honestly, if they're all out playing in the snow at 9am rather than moaning through school, Momma and baby get a nice quiet house to themselves for just a little longer. So that's exactly what we did here this morning.  Of course Brenna ( hates to be cold) only lasted until her glove came off and her little bare hand was plunged into the snow, Ava (hates to be hot) would not keep her outerwear on, and kept coming in exasperated because she just couldn't cool off, the boys noticed a pile of scrapwood in the garage and decided to construct a ladder for their treehouse rather than play in the snow ("No Connor, ~for the 5 hundredth time~you can not use the power saw!) and I managed to brush my teeth before 10 am. Ahhh.
And speaking of celebration, we had ice cream for lunch. I didn't even serve carrots to go with. Ice Cream. Snow Ice cream!
 

Snow Ice cream:
8-12 cups fresh fallen snow
14oz sweetened condensed milk
1 TBSP vanilla

Mix together and enjoy.
We used 8 cups of snow, but I would definitely recommend at least 12. It was sickeningly sweet with only 8, and, in my opinion, just tasted like slushy sweetened condensed milk. I saw another recipe using regular milk and sugar rather than the sweetened condensed milk. I think I'll try that one next time. I bet it's great with raw goat's milk (wink).

And tomorrow morning, we get to meet that Alpine goat and her two (8 day old) kids (a buckling and a doeling). A little nervous about this meeting. Got a call from the owner that one side of her udder is feeling hardened. She believes it is not mastitis, just the fact that the kids have only been nursing from one side and she has not been milking out the other side. Still, a glitch. Glitches make me nervous. We shall see...

And here is our sweet Charlotte, just this snowy morning. I think she liked the snow :)

Lift up your eyes on high and see who has created these stars, the One who leads forth their host by number, He calls them all by name; because of the greatness of His might and the strength of His power, not one of them is missing .. Isaiah 40:26

4 comments:

  1. Charlotte loves snow like her grandma. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like it was a busy and productive day for you all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We made snow cream the other day too. My mom told me she used to do it as a little girl. I guess since I grew up in Florida, we had never had the chance to make it. She told my daughter about it and now it has been a regular desert since moving to Maine. I am enjoying reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete