Monday, January 17, 2011

It's All About the Baby

When I was growing up, I loved being sick. Really. I have wonderful parents, but they were exceptionally wonderful to me when I was sick. Mother, ever health conscious (your would never find a box of cookies in her cupboard, no ma'am), would fall all over herself to pamper us kids when we were down. What was usually limited to 10 minute showers became afternoon-long, hot soaks in bubble baths, and while we were sleeping she would steal away to the grocery only to come back with a brown paper sack filled with individual bottles of bubbly ginger-ale, cans of Cambell's Chunky soup, and ice cold strawberry ice cream. And it was all about you. She would've made a great nurse (save for her aversion to blood, that is). Anyway, thanks Mom.

Today in our house, the baby is down with a fever, cold, congestion, yucky cough, up all night.You know the kind. Poor, sweet babe. So today, it is all about Charlotte (and of course MLK Jr ;) ) I had planned to do school today regardless of it being a holiday, but was not heartbroken to be able to call that off today. So after a quick lesson/review/discussion with the school kids about what Martin Luther King Jr. means to them (Connor- "well if he hadn't been famous, he wouldn't have gotten himself shot, so I'm not going to be famous.") I mentally packed away that I need to re-discuss this with him at another time, tucked the baby into her crib in her cool-steam vaporized nursery, and set to work on some all natural cold/congestion,cough salve. Here's the recipe:
 1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup sweet almond oil
handful of dried peppermint (or 2 drops peppermint essential oil)
handful of dried rosemary (or 2 drops rosemary essential oil)
3-4 drops lavender essential oil
5-6 drops eucalyptus essential oil
heaping tablespoon of raw beeswax

If using dry herbs: (If using just essential oils, skip to step two)
1. In a double boiler throw the olive and almond oil in with the dry herbs and heat together for approx 1/2 hour. Strain oil through cheesecloth and set aside. 
2. In a stainless steel pot, melt beeswax over low heat. Add the strained oil and essential oils and stir until mixed. Pour into a jar to cool/harden.  I used a clear glass jar because that's what I had available. It's really better to use a dark colored storage container when working with essential oils to preserve their healing qualities.
Store salve in a cool dark place. Rub over chest, neck and you may put a little under your nose for added effect. Use lightly on babies until you are sure they do not develop any adverse side effects (I've never had this problem). Similar to Vicks Vapo Rub, but milder, more pleasant and of course, natural. It really works to clear congestion and help you breathe easy. The added lavender has a calming effect. This smells so nice, I sometimes use it when I'm not sick, just for a pick-me-up.
Bee well ;)

5 comments:

  1. I saw that jar on your counter yesterday, opened it, whiffed, and thought, "Wow! I don't know what this is, but I like it." It was a pick-me-up. Praying our dear Charlotte Grace is better right now. If I could, I'd pamper you both today. Love you. Connor is very wise. Love him too. Hugs to all, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love your salve recipe! I'm going to have to file that one away. :-)

    Thank you for following Marmee's Pantry & your sweet words. You are appreciated more than you know.

    lol ~ Got a little tickled about your description of your mama's care for you when you were sick. I can SO relate...my mom worked full-time, by choice, through my growing up years & I remember being home sick & being so sad that she wasn't there to take care of me. I had determined that that would NOT be me w/my girls...& it wasn't. Now, they are 23 & almost 20...only 1 is home now &, yes, I miss the times when I could make them a bed on the couch, fix their favorites sick-time-foods & gently rub their faces to comfort them.

    I hope your sweet little one is better soon.

    Blessings from Ohio...Kim<><

    ReplyDelete
  3. First Thank you for stopping by my blog!
    I couldn't be with out my goats, chickens or other various little animals we have. We haven't went on more than a day trip in a long time. The only thing we miss is camping..
    I had a mom like yours except we got Sprite or 7UP! Lol and Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup till the year I had the flu and well you can probably imagine what happened with that.
    Your babies are as cute as can be too! I have made similar salve and everyone has a little jar sitting next to their beds.
    Looking forward to more of your blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to meet you! Thanks for stopping by my blog and saying Hi! I feel like I've met a new best friend:)) Can't wait to read more! Welcome to the blog world~ it's a mother's sanity!!LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello and a quick "Thank you" for stopping into our blog!

    You salve sounds heavenly and I've copied the recipe to give it a try. Today I picked cottonwood buds for making cottonwood salve. I will infuse the buds in oil(extra virgin, olive) for several months and then put together the salve. You can heat the oil to infuse quicker, but I prefer to let it happen over time, with no heat.

    We'll be back to visit and look forward to building a friendship with you. :o)
    Blessings,
    Kelle aka The Never Done Farm

    ReplyDelete