Thursday, April 28, 2011

Tornado

No, we do not live in Alabama, but my heart and prayers sure go out to them down there. I experienced my first tornado last night as it ripped through our back yard and down the street. Our immediate neighbors have extensive damage. They've lost houses, barns, farm animals and valuables. The wooded cemetary with its beautiful, tall, ancient pines, has few left standing. Praise God no one was hurt. The only thing we lost was our trampoline. Amazing, considering the damage all around us.

 Ava has had a phobia of tornados ever since we mistakenly let her watch Twister with her brothers last summer. Every dark cloud, every strong wind, every rain and snow drop since, I have had to reassure her that, "No Ava, we are not having a tornado!"  I've told her several times we will likely never have a tornado considering we are surrounded by hills and frankly, New York state isn't real famous for its twisters.

Well we heard of the "tornado watch" on the weather channel before going to bed and I assured her once again as I tucked her in that we would not be seeing a tornado tonight. What do I know? Apparently not much. We heard it coming around 1:30 am, a wind that fiercely rattled my bedroom window and sent a chill through my heart. Joe and I grabbed the children, and ran for the basement. It was Ava's idea to pray first, and she was so calm. The Lord kept us, and really kept the whole neighborhood safe. Not one person was injured. When it was over and done Ava was giggly and giddy. We'd had a tornado and she'd survived it! If only all were that lucky.
I hope that will be the end of her phobia. Brave little Brenna just sat there on that cold basement floor, stunned and shaking. Garrett was concerned and hald asleep, Sweet Charlotte would've slept through it all if we hadn't woke her, and Connor was at Grandma's for the night. Though he's really bummed he missed it :)

Here are some pictures of the aftermath:
Standing in our driveway looking across the road. See that debris? That was a modular home.





Cemetary pics...





The neighbor's barn with our trampoline in the forefront:



Our neighbor's house


I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.
Psalm 4:8





4 comments:

  1. Thank You, God, for my children. May You forever encamp Your angels around them. Please, Lord. Thank You for protecting all human life in New York. Please comfort those who mourn loss of loved ones tonight. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God no one was injured and you're home was spared! We had a watch but when the line arrived it was just heavy rain. I looked at the radar a bit later when it was up by NY and was amazed to see how intense it had become. I'm not at all surprised to hear there were tornadoes in that band. It gives you so much to be thankful for and all of the silly cares and troubles melt in gratitude of well-being, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you are all safe! Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
  4. omygoodness! I had no idea that there were tornadoes in NY recently. I guess that not having a tv keeps me out of the loop. Praise God you are all okay and that your losses were minimal! \0/

    ReplyDelete