Sunday, April 10, 2011

Weekend Work...and Fun

Busy this weekend! Joe started a new coop for the poultry. I got plenty of laughs as the goats kept trying to eat his plans. They'd walk up and nonchalantly grab the piece of paper out of his hardware bag and then run for it.  (hee hee). Oh, and how they loved jumping up on the platform to help him, poop on his plywood, chew his clothes, stand directly in his way, etc...  What characters! Unfortunately, Joe didn't think it was quite as funny as I. I'm still laughing. After the work was done for the evening we looked out the back window and there she was, on the platform, legs locked, staring toward the house, "taunting me" Joe said. The girls loved helping him as well and were so cute to watch. I'm glad to be married to such a handy man. God knew just what he was doing :).



Couldn't get the tiller started and Joe was busy with the coop, so I hand-tilled the garden. A lot of work, that was . But good to be digging in the soil again, and good to work up a sweat in the good 'ol outdoors. My back, and the blisters on my hands and feet can attest to the hours of labor spent in the garden this weekend, and it's all good. Got the onions, beets, spinach, greens, and half the peas planted. Decided to try the tee-pee method for the peas. I've always used chicken wire to hold them up, but have never been thrilled with it. The last couple years I made a large tee-pee for the pole beans and was happy with the results. The kids thought it was cool too. It was large enough for them to "fort" in. So here's some pictures of my little pea tee-pee's. I have 3 more  pea tee-pee's to build this week and all the peas will be in (can you tell I like saying  pea tee-pee :). Brenna was my big helper collecting dead branches and sticks from the woods out back for the tee-pee's. Later, when she felt dirt in her boots, she complained, "momma, there's a garden in my boot!"  She's a trooper and especially enjoyed the wheelbarrow rides she earned. I remember riding in the wheelbarrow pushed by Dad when I was not much bigger than her. Sweet times. Sweet memories. Charlotte was so pleased to be out crawling around the yard all afternoon too. I wished the boys had shown more enthusiasm about helping. Garrett used to be just like Ava and Brenna- by my side every Spring with his hands in the dirt. I hope he's not lost his enthusiasm.


Connor turned 12 today. How did that happen? Connor, our "honeymoon baby" who made his entrance into the world, fists clenched and wailing, just 10 months after us two crazy kids said "I do". I had just turned 21. His fists have been clenched ever since. His wail is now louder. But oh what a blessing he is to us. He makes us laugh daily and again, God knew just what he was doing giving us Connor first. He sure broke us in as young parents. I love him.
He requested a bonfire for his birthday. We had fun around the first fire of the year. Looking forward to many more. I don't have many pictures of him because he's so hard to catch. But here he is staring into his birthday fire.


Now I must go catch up on the laundry that has been neglected for the last 3 days. Yikes.
I hope your weekend was just as satisfying!

Elizabeth

1 comment:

  1. I love you ~ Mom. And while you were doing all of this, I was at a retreat selling your soaps and soap savers. The women loved them!

    ReplyDelete