Friday, April 15, 2011

Birthday Gifts

Some pretty wonderful ones were received this year:

An apron from my sister,

Feminine and bohemian = perfect! I've practically lived in it, as the (already) stains can attest to.


A beautiful bracelet and earring set from Mom and Dad:

The woman who made these lives in a single room in Bosnia. In the picture I saw, her smile sparkled as much as her jewelry :)


An azalea bush to plant (my first ever!) from my Mother-in-Law:


Plantable gifts are the gifts that keep on giving!


Grow lights constructed by my man:


three of them! And they work great- the little sprouts are already up and thriving in our dark basement :)


And with some money I received I gifted myself with this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Nourishing-Traditions-Challenges-Politically-Dictocrats/dp/0967089735

I have wanted this book for some time now and simply can not wait to be inspired by it. I really hope to change my (and all of our) eating habits towards a more natural, raw, fermented, cultured foods diet. The benefits are said to be amazing. My concern is, and always has been whether I can realistically do this with a large family, on a very strict budget. But when I opened the book I was encouraged to find the first chapter all about raw, fermented and cultured dairy, with lots of healthy recipes to follow. I've already got the raw milk from ouir goats, so I've got a good headstart :).  Looking forward to devouring the rest... here's to a healthier me.

and... this adorable little barn plaque (can't think of the technical name for them- I know there is one) I found at the Salvation Army, ON my birthday, for a mere 99 cents! Doesn't it look cute on the goat house?

Now I must go sing a sleepy baby to sleep, and then go milk those goats. Have a great weekend!

Elizabeth

7 comments:

  1. Nice birthday for a precious gift given to us 33 years ago. Love you, Lizzy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth,
    Thank you for sharing your gifts. Each one is a beautiful reflection of the woman you are! God Bless you with many more birthdays.

    Lisa Hill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, you are so.much.fun. to be related too :) Who needs tv?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy, Happy Birthday! Hope it was a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like you had a great birthday. All of the gifts suit you perfectly. I have a friend who has lived by that book for years. The food at her house is always good. The sign is a hex sign, traditional PA Dutch art.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday! It looks like you hit the jackpot on gifts. I especially appreciated the apron because I can't stay clean to save me and the grow lights. So much pleasure in starting your own plants and so many choices that way. I'm loving trying new varieties and finding out what suites our soil, weather, and our taste buds best.

    ReplyDelete