Monday, November 14, 2016

Monday

When he called, from his hotel room, from working out of town, I was in the recliner reading a book to Charlotte and nursing the baby. The book was Let Me Hold you Longer by Karen Kingsbury. One of those books that I usually can't get through without watery eyes at the least, or being reduced to a slobbering, sniffling mess, dependent on my mood and (if we're being honest) the particular time of the month. Tonight, thankfully, it was the latter.

He asked how the day had gone and I told him of moving the new bunny to one of the chicken pasture pens. That the boys had gotten it down from the hayloft for us, and how he seemed so much happier to be on grass and have room to explore and leap and nibble. It just seemed so much more natural than the smallish cage he was in. I meant to tell him that I tried to grab an old apple from the apple tree next to the pen to give him a treat, but that there were two dead bees inside and so I decided not to, and also I wondered if those bees were dead from the neighbor spraying his field because some residual spray inevitably makes its way to our backyard. It's impossible to avoid. I wondered if that was the case how many more bees had been killed. And then naturally I was reminded that it had been too long since I'd been down to check on the bees. They seemed good in August. I need to go soon.



 


I told him that I'd been so patient with Isaac and that Isaac had behaved himself rather well today (a trouble we're having), except that near bedtime he decided to call the baby a buttface and said it over and over and was punished for that and then laughed at me after being punished and so I told him it was time for bed and he said, "no" and so I got really mad then and perhaps was too severe. I told my husband that I was still feeling guilty for possibly overreacting even though we'd made up with cuddles and bedtime stories. But the level of his naughtiness lately combined with the titch of postpartum anxiety I still seem to be experiencing is a breeding ground for all sorts of episodes between the two of us lately. Gosh I love him. He's the neatest kid ever. But we're having a tough time of it. 

I told him that both the baby and Lucas had pooped three times today.

I told him that I'd let the chickens free range today because we were out of chicken food and I didn't get to the store and that buying $14 bags of chicken food each week was getting old for a bunch of chickens that haven't layed eggs since September. They were perfectly content to free range. I told him I'd prefer that anyway. He reminded me of all the poop they leave everyhwere. He prefers them neatly penned. I also told him that I'd changed the timer on the light in their coop to turn on from 2am -6am rather than the 7pm-11pm that it's set to now. I'd read somewhere that was better for egg production. Lord knows I've tried everything.

I told him that I'd finally gotten the three bags that have been sitting in the back of our van for a month to Salvation Army. That I went into town hoping that the apple trees I saw on clearance two days ago would still be there. I went with my credit card because times are a little tough, and $10 apple trees are worth it. They were all gone. Once again, life got in the way of planting apple trees. Spring, perhaps.

I told him that my mom was still sick (bronchitis) and that my Dad couldn't find his keys and would he please check his truck?

I told him that I'd put Whisper (our elderly-est) goat in one of the kidding pens for a couple days because I could tell she was in heat and didn't want her bred. Last year she had an accidental breeding and did not produce enough milk for her baby (due to being so old, I assume). I didn't watch it close enough and that beautiful little strawberry blonde doeling died, and I was so mad at myself for not catching that.  Whisper has given us many beautiful babies and oodles and oodles of milk in the 6 years we've had her. I've noticed lately that she's been hobbling a little. Walking slower. Lying down a little more. Not racing to the hay feeders like she used to. Last evening when I went out she was sitting in the pasture just looking up at the stars. She's 12. It's almost time. I hope she can enjoy one more Spring and Summer.

That's all of what I'd told him. And it was good to have that conversation because he's usually the talker in our relationship while I tend to be the listener who holds things in. And then we talked about his day which had nothing to do with children or animals or poop, but was still a good day. And we said I love you, and we said good bye.


3 comments:

  1. Life. I suggest you go into the pasture with whisper, look at the super moon, and thank God for another day of life with more joy coming in the morning. Love your writing. Even if I wasn't your mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for always being my biggest supporter Mom. Love you.

      Delete
  2. Help! Large vaginal prolapse
    Sheep
    And... she busted through three tight sutures.
    10 554
    rnmom23 posted Apr 7, 2019
    Help! Large vaginal prolapse
    Sheep
    Well never did I think I’d be saying this, but I was able to get it back in and then suture her shut. Yikes. Poor girl. She’s lounging in the barn looking pretty unhappy with the whole situation, and still trying to push it out. We’ll see what happens. I’m not very hopeful, and she’ll definitely...
    10 554
    rnmom23 posted Apr 7, 2019
    Help! Large vaginal prolapse
    Sheep
    One of our ewes -due any day- had a vaginal prolapse a few days ago. We were able to carefully push it back in after cleaning it off and restrain it with a twine harness. This morning it had re-emerged and is very large. The ewe was found lying on her side and panting and pushing. It’s not labor...
    10 554
    rnmom23 · Apr 7, 2019
    Do you sell your soap?
    Soapmaking
    We also sell our soaps. We make them from our own goats' milk and use wonderfully nourishing and natural ingredients. We just started selling after making them for a couple years for friends and family. Right now I only sell through my blog and word of mouth but we are working on an internet...
    16 2K
    rnmom23 posted Mar 27, 2011
    For Sale and Wanted
    Goats
    Looking for dairy does, preferably bred for this Spring, or already in milk, from CAE/CL tested clean herds. Upstate NY. Not much of a preference on breed. Need 2-3 for family milk production and soap making. We have goat experience, and you can be assured they will be well taken care of and...

    ReplyDelete