Thursday, April 4, 2013

Last of the Kids

And as quick as it began, it was over. Kidding season. Of course, we only had three does kid this year, so not like a whole farm-ful or anything. It was a year for bucklings. We got five. And two doelings. Of course we'll keep the doelings as we are in the process of building our herd. Slowly. Two of our bucklings have already gone as pets to some farm friends. I was so happy to find them a good home. Brenna was so sad to see them go. Sadder than expected. I found her crying after they were carted off to their new home. Sweet, shy,sensitive Brenna. She seems to feel things on a different emotional level than the rest of us. Or maybe she's just five. Either way, I hope she's able to adapt to this way of living and come away not too scarred. Today, we received our first batch of broilers. In 8 weeks they will be dinner. How to break this to her gently? We've told her if she wants to play and make friends with the chicks, then stick to the laying chicks. They'll be around longer. I love her sensitivity and am pretty sure that I was that way once upon a time.
 

Joe with our last two bucklings. Cuties. All three.




We've moved the laying chicks to our outdoor brooder house. And they're doing well. Already almost all feathered out and big! Today the broilers went in our "extra" room in the house where they'll be for about a week before moving into the brooder house with the others. Within a couple weeks they should be out on pasture permanently. We'll receive 50 more broilers about every three weeks until fall. Chicken anyone?
Inside the brooder house

Brand new chicks, fresh from the mailman


Easter weekend was lovely. And it also happened to be Charlotte's 3rd birthday. Double the celebration! It started Friday morning with some out of town guests we hadn't seen in a couple years. They arrived early as we were coming in from milking. I was embarassed by my barn clothes, my undone hair, the chores that needed tended to before we could visit, and had hoped to get a shower before their arrival. Growing up, my mother was meticulous. She was an excellent housekeeper, hostess, and mother. Her children were always clean, her rugs always vacuumed. I didn't grow up on a farm. So, I'm still getting used to the fact that my life is going to be just a little messier than hers. And that's ok. We settled in with our old friends and had such a nice time together. And they didn't care that I hadn't showered, and that the milking buckets all sat in the sink. The rest of the weekend was filled with family and how nice it was to pile most of our loved ones in the dining room for an Easter Feast/ birthday party. I'm so grateful for my large dining room and for those that I love filling my house. Happy Easter- He is Risen!




Today, Spring arrived. And so it was time to set up the trampoline. Something the kids have been begging for since we moved in, in the dead of winter.


Ahhh, Spring. I knew you'd come. Someday.



 
 
 
Elizabeth


5 comments:

  1. Cleaning is way over-rated. Hospitality has more to do with the cleanliness of the heart than the cleanliness of the home.

    I love you, my birdie,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friends understand that a farm house is never going to be as clean as a town house. Ya know what? They NEVER care! They love you, not the house! In fact, knowing that you don't "do it all" and have the perfect house makes them feel more welcome. (This I've learned after years of trying to "do it all" and have the perfectly clean house!!) And tell Brenna, she is more than welcome to come visit Wilbur and Oliver (they LOVE the trampoline too!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elaine and Lawana are so right. I love being welcomed into a home the way we were at yours. We walked right in the back door and were greeted by smiling children, all of them. They welcomed us in without hardly knowing us and they made us feel like we belonged there the whole time. We loved seeing the TRUE farm life. I can't imagine it ever being "clean". And we are so thankful for friends who are comfortable with who they are. It does make us feel more at home when your home is just like ours (a little messy, and filled with the chaos of life). Your home may not be perfect, but it is perfect for you. And I am so excited we got to see you living the dream that you talked about so many years ago. You are an inspiration and blessing to my life. We love you all dearly. Know that you will always have a place to come to in NC. We don't have goats or chicks, but I promise I won't clean for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lawana and Karin are so right. Karin made me laugh. I remember Dan coming home to a spotless house and the first thing he said was, "The house looks great, but how are the kids?" I loved it. He let me know early on that he wanted me to enjoy our children more than he wanted a clean house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That's alot of chickens coming. We have about 30 right now and they sure can eat some feed. Glad you're enjoying the farm life. Kathy Colyer

    ReplyDelete