Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Does not Work Well with Others

This is hard. Working full time with my husband.

Navigating together as full-time parents, farmers, and business partners. Parenting is not new to us. But doing it together 24/7, is. And when every time we try to calmly work out a business decision we're (surprise) not seeing eye to eye on, and the 5 year old trips and falls flat on her face and starts wailing, the 8 year old needs help with a math problem, the teen and preteen get into it, while at the same time the toddler tries takes it upon herself to pour herself a glass of milk and the entire carton ends up on the floor, and then the dog and the baby and the toddler are all wading through the giant milk puddle... well then, it's just hard. And now we're out of milk.

Isaac, stop eating the soap.

Farming is relatively new to us and I struggle letting him take the reigns and be the 'boss-man' because it was my dream to begin with. I've had the passion for years and my tattered, ear-marked copy of Carla Emery's "Encyclopedia of Country Living" proves it. When we bought our first home on an acre and a half, I couldn't wait to turn it into a mini-barnyard, complete with compost pile and large garden. Joe saw our long acreage as the perfect driving range. Needless to say, we've not always had like-minded ideals. This is a new passion for him. He was incredulous when I first told him I wanted some chickens for my birthday (6 years ago). Ridiculous, he told me. Out of the question. Yet being the awesome husband he was, he went out, hammer in hand and converted our shed (the same one he kept his golf clubs in) into a chicken coop. Love him. And then came the goats, and convincing him to let me till up just a little more of his yard each year to expand the garden. And then last year he took a real interest in the soap making, and the garden, and he would let me sit and read excerpts of "Encyclopedia of Country Living" to him while he weeded the garden. And now here we are on our own farm and his own tattered and ear marked copies of all Joel Salatin's books are laying around. I should be so lucky. I am so lucky. But instead, so much time is being wasted on deciding between his way of doing things and mine. Still. And it's hard to step back and let him lead.
If we had to write references on each other they both would inevitably say, "does not work well with others." Hmph.

But ultimately, I desire to be under my husband, not above him. This is where we're both happiest, and, well, it's biblical. So learning to be submissive while being in partnership is hard too. And I'm going to make him read this so he understands just where I'm coming from and where I want to be going.

 I love ya honey. We can use the boxes you like for packaging the soaps. Now let's go disbud those baby goats.
 
 
 
Elizabeth





5 comments:

  1. This is definitely a post in which the mother-in-law should not comment. Love you two! I suggest you put down Emery and pick up Miller's "We All Married Idiots."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahhah Elaine... you may be onto something there ;) BUT they are both great and they'll figure it out because they both want to :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not taking sides here, because I don't know what side wants what. I have attended a lot of marketing seminars and here are two suggestions for making this decision.

    1. Determine who your target market is and package to sell to that market. My book target market is women ages 25 to 50. Hence the bubble bath and the red convertible.

    2. Check out the packaging of successful goat milk products and come up with something similar or better.

    Packaging is important. It will make or break a sale. I'm praying for you two.

    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joel Salatin is one of my favorite author's! I am excited to visit your farm and purchase some pastured chicken and local vegatables! I'm sure you will work out all the details as you go along. Big adjustment for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My publisher and I were up til 2:00 a.m. going back and forth re the cover for We All Married Idiots. We finally found one we agreed on. Keep working on it until you find that one that WOW's both of you!

    Praying,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete